Motorcycle Licence Western Australia (WA)

Table of Contents

Motorcycle Licence Western Australia, (WA)

Before riding a motorcycle in  Western Australia (WA), you will require a licence. To get a motorcycle licence you will need to go through a process of getting an R-E learners permit, then getting a R-E class learners licence, to getting your provisional licence. Just like many states in Australia, WA has adopted the Graduated Licensing System which is designed to restrict beginner riders until they gain more experience, slowly easing restrictions as you learn.

3 steps for getting a motorcycle licence in Western Australia (WA)

1. Get a R-E class learners permit

You must apply for a learners permit and pass the motorcycle theory test to start learning to ride a LAMS approved motorcycle.

To apply for this permit, you must:

  • Be a minimum of 16 years of age (15.5 years of age for a moped R-N class)
  • Pay for the theory test ($19.90), the application fee and the learner log book ($9.45) (if you choose to log hours in the printed log book, there is no fee if for the Learn&log app)
  • Complete an eyesight test at the same location as paying the application fee
  • Declare medical conditions and prescribed medications
  • Sit a 35 multiple choice question theory test that relates to the general road rules and motorcycle relevant questions
  • Get 28 out of the 35 questions correct to pass the motorcycle theory test

It is strongly recommended to get as much supervised riding experience as possible. You must complete a log book of a recorded 50 hours minimum with 5 of those hours completed at night (between sunset and sunrise). A log book is not applicable if you already hold a car licence.

Once you have been issued your motorcycle learners permit you can start learning the skills you need to become a safe rider. To gain experience to ride a LAMS approved motorcycle (R-E class) you must:

  • Have an approved supervisor accompany you at all times as a pillion passenger, in a sidecar or on another motorcycle
  • Learn on a LAMS approved motorcycle only
  • Wear an approved helmet
  • Display an clearly visible L plate on the rear of the motorcycle

You can move onto the next step of completing your Hazard Perception Test once you have held your learners permit for the R-E class for 6 months even if you haven’t completed the minimum 50 hours in your log book.

2. Complete the Hazard Perception Test (HPT)

The Hazard Perception Test ($24.50) is a computer-based test featuring a series of video clips of simulated traffic situations and conditions. The test is designed to measure you ability to access road hazards and make safe riding decisions in real time. The test requires you to respond to different situations by clicking the mouse at the relevant time to indicate when its safe to commence a manoeuvre or when you should take the appropriate action to reduce the risk of an accident. You don’t need extensive computer skills to complete the test as instructions will be provided. Head to to take a sample test that will give you an idea of the skills required to pass the test.

You will need to successfully complete this test to apply for your R-E class provisional motorcycle licence.

3. Pass the Practical Driving Assessment – LAMS approved provisional motorcycle licence (R-E class)

To get your motorcycle licence (R-E-class) or your provisional motorcycle licence (R-E class), you will need to complete the Practical Driving Assessment (PDA) .

To participate in the Practical Driving Assessment ($109), you must:

  • Be at least 17 years of age
  • Have completed the minimum of 50 hours including 5 night riding hours
  • Present your log book (digital or print), must be signed by you and the supervising rider

If you already have a car licence these requirements do not apply to you.

To prepare for the assessment its advised to have already completed the 50 hours of supervised riding as well as referring to the booklet (Driving techniques for safe drivers: A guide for learner drivers). The Practical Driving Assessment will assess the quality of your riding and the way you perform individual skills. These skills include:

  • Flow – How well your riding skills flow together
  • Look behind – Using your mirrors and head checking when appropriate
  • Movement – Riding smoothly
  • Path – The position of the road you ride on
  • Responsiveness – Being aware of potential hazards around you and responding appropriately
  • Signal – Letting other road users know your planned movements
  • Vehicle management – Riding the motorcycle correctly, keeping an eye on your instruments, handling of the motorcycles functions such as clutch, brake and accelerator

In addition to the above assessed items, your testing may include:

  • Balancing the vehicle at low speeds by riding a figure O without losing balance
  • Correctly parking and starting on a hill
  • Performing a quick stop under full control without locking the front or rear wheel

To participate in the assessment, you must wear the appropriate attire consisting of enclosed footwear, approved helmet, long pants (not tracksuit), and a long sleeved shirt of jacket. Gloves and eye protection are highly recommended.

You can make a booking online unless you have a medical condition and the medical assessment is incomplete, you have an extraordinary licence application or you are making a conditional licence application.

Once you have passed the Practical Driving Assessment (PDA), to get your provisional licence (if this is your first licence) you must:

  • Have your photo taken
  • Pay the fee (included in your $109 PDA) for your provisional licence
  • Abide by the rules for novice riders
  • A novice rider is a person who has held their licence for less than 2 years or periods adding up to 2 years. This may include:
  • A first time learners permit holder
  • The holder of a provisional licence
  • A driver from overseas who hasn’t held a drivers licence for at least 2 years
  • The holder to an extraordinary licence
There are 2 types of novice riders:

Novice 1 – A person is a novice rider 1 from the time they are first issued their learners permit (display yellow L plate), to the time they are granted their provisional licence (display red P plate). They will continue to be a novice rider 1 until they have held their provisional licence for 1 year. They will only have 3 demerit points available on their licence, if 4 or more demerit points are recorded against the person they will be disqualified from riding for 3 months and have their licence cancelled. For the first 6 months of having their provisional licence, the rider is not permitted to ride between the hours of midnight to 5am.

Novice 2 – A person is a novice 2 if they have held there licence form more than 1 year but less than 2 (display green P plate). They will have 7 demerit points on their licence, if 8 or more demerit points are recorded against the person they will be disqualified from riding for 3 months and have their licence cancelled. 

All novice riders are subject to a zero blood alcohol concentration. 

4. Motorcycle R-class licence

To apply for your R-class licence (full motorcycle licence), you must have held a R-E class motorcycle licence for a period of at least 2 years. A R-class licence will allow you to ride any motorcycle with an engine capacity exceeding 660cc or a power to weight ratio exceeding 150kw/t. A class restriction removal will cost $93.40.

Although Western Australia uses the Graduated Licensing System, making it safer and more difficult to obtain your motorcycle licence, it is easier to obtain the licence than many other states. The only 2 assessments required are the learner permit tests, and the R-E class Practical Driving Assessment. Once these are completed, all you have to do is put in the relevant riding experience over the allocated time period (usually 2 years), then pay the fee to remove restrictions from your licence making you a full motorcycle licence holder. Most of this information has been taken from the Western Australia transport website to ensure accuracy. If your confused about any of the steps listed above, or require more information, head to for more information.